Qatar Piravom Pravasi Association Presents First all Over Kerala Tug of War
We all enjoy playing tug of war, a classic game, two players or teams battle to prove their strength by tugging harder than their opponents on a rope. You can play several different versions of this classic game of strength.
- Venue: Al Sadd Sports Club Indoor Stadium
- Date: 29-03-2019 (Friday)
- Time: 5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Call for registration: 7447 5767, 6698 0380
- 1st Prize: QAR 1111 ( + Cup + Medal)
- 2nd Prize: QAR 555 (+ Cup + Medal)
- 3rd Prize: QAR 333 (+ Cup + Medal)
Registration Fee: QAR 200
Weight: 573 KG
Interesting facts about Tug of War:
- An Egyptian wall engraving from around 2500 BC depicts the oldest known tug-of-war contest. However, the phrase “tug-of-war” for the sport goes back only to the late 19th century.
- Before that, “tug-of-war” was used for the start of military confrontations.
- Tug-of-war featured in the summer Olympics from 1900 to 1920. Britain won the event twice. Tug of War has been part of the Olympic program 5 times.
- The Tug of War International Federation is based in Wisconsin and has 67 member nations.
- Canadian Inuits hold a version of tug-of-war called “aarsaraq” which is played sitting down.
- In international competition, the rope must be at least 33.5m long with a circumference between 10cm and 12.5cm.
- International Tug of War Day is celebrated on February 19