Vegan Rava Idli Recipe (without Yogurt or curd)
Soft, spongy, melt-in-your-mouth Rava Idli is a real favorite for many is an easy recipe. Rava Idli, which is made with semolina flour called Rava, is a variation of the popular south-Indian breakfast recipe called ‘Idli’. Super easy to make, this easy breakfast recipe or snack recipe needs no grinding or fermenting, and comes together in 35 minutes, with only 10-15 minutes of active cooking time.
Recipe Sponsored by Chettinad Idli & Dosa Batter, Qatar
Preparation Time: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 15 mins (for each batch) | Serves: 4-6
Ingredients: (Approx. about 25 idlis)
- Semolina | Rawa | Cream of Wheat: 2 cups
- Quick cooking oats: 3/4 cup
- Avalakki | Poha | Rice flakes: 3 tbsp, optional
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal | Black dal: 2 tsp
- Channa dal | Gram dal: 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: 1/4 cup
- Grated carrots: 1/4 cup
- Salt: To taste
- Baking Soda: 1.5 tsp
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Water: As needed
- Oil: Few drops to grease the idli mould
- Wash the rice flakes thoroughly and soak them in water for 5-10 mins.
- Heat oil in a broad saucepan or wok. When the oil is hot, throw in the mustard seeds, urad dal, and channa dal. When dal turns golden brown, add the cashew nuts and mix until the cashew nuts turn golden brown.
- Add the rawa to the pan and roast the rawa on medium heat for 3-4 mins. Add the oats and roast again for a minute.
- Remove the roasted rawa from the heat. Allow it to cool completely.
- Drain the water from the rice flakes (poha) and add it to the rawa mixture.
- Add about 2 cups of water to the rawa and mix well to make a thick batter.
- Mix the vinegar with a quarter cup of water and pour it to the batter. Mix again and allow it to rest for 20 mins.
- Put water to the steamer (or idli cooker or pressure cooker). Turn on the heat and let the water boil.
- Just before making the idlis, add the salt, more water, grated carrots, and finely chopped coriander leaves to the batter. Mix well.
- Finally, add the baking soda powder to the batter. Whisk the batter well.
- Grease the idli moulds. Pour about 2-3 tbsp of batter to each mould and steam the idlis for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, turn off the heat and allow the steamer to cool for 5 mins.
- Scoop out the idlis and serve it with chutney of your choice.